May 22 (Sunday) was the saddest day of my life.

Hi All,

Sorry for the long absence in updating the blog here.

A lot has happened in the last 1 month.

My mom unexpectedly passed away in Hong Kong Rotteejee Hospital on May 22 (Sun) at 7:05 p.m. due to massive cardiac arrest. She was only 77 years of age at the time of death.

😦 She was unwell and went to HK Sanitorium Hospital the night before, at 9 past p.m. However, the attending A and E doctor somehow did not manage to spot that at that time her ECG already showed signs of left heart valve blockage, just prescribed her with 3 different types of gastric medicine and sent her home. Her unwell symptoms persisted so at 3:00 a.m. she told the maid to bring her back to HK Sanitorium Hospital. That time the attending A & E doctor read her first ECG and said that she was in fact suffering from left heart valve blockage. So wrote her an urgent memo for admission into HK Rotteejee Hospital their cardiac ICU unit, and called for her an ambulance to be admitted.

At 9 past a.m. on May 22 (Sunday), she suffered from a massive cardiac arrest, was saved, though the doctor was too lazy to do angioplasty on her as it was Sunday. Some 6 hours later,  at 4:20 p.m., she suffered from another massive cardiac arrest, even more serious than the morning one. That time, the doctor decided to do angioplasty on her. However, it was already too late. By the time they wheeled her to the operating theater, her blood pressure and pulse were gone. They tried to revive her with CPR for 3 hours but in vain, and she was pronounced dead at 7:05 p.m.

We only got the news from my cousin in Hong Kong at 9 a.m. that morning (May 22). He said that he was going against my mom’s wishes not to inform me and my husband of how critical she was, as if something happened to her, he is going to live with regret for the rest of his life.

We immediately booked the Cathay Pacific flight to go to Hong Kong. However, as my husband booked in a hurry, he did not check that the flight actually stopped over in Bangkok. We tried to ask for a much earlier flight in Changi Airport but was told that all their planes were full till 8 p.m. that night. We did not know that we could actually tell them we are catching a flight back home as we are being informed of a family emergency. By the time we saw my mom in Cardiac ICU unit, she was already gone for 1 plus hour. Her hair was a bit messy which was understandable. Her mouth showed a bit of her teeth, and she was just sleeping so soundly.:( We managed to say our last farewell to her. She must be so exhausted from all the recent trips, after attending her USA brother’s 2nd funeral, and going into Xiamen of China twice for discussion of her UK 3rd brother’s sea burial. May 21 (Sat) at 11:45 p.m. my cousin in HK still called her at home, and informed her of the number of people going to attend her 3rd brother’s sea burial in August. I think she knows that she has done the tasks on hand, and so could depart this world peacefully and free of any worries.

My husband needs to get some documents here in Singapore, so we flew back on Friday afternoon, going back to Hong Kong tomorrow night, as my mom’s wake and funeral is not until June 20 and 21 respectively. Wish that her soul will rest in peace. Those of us who are Christians will see her again when we pass on, in future.

With the passing of my mom (she kept on mentioning in April this year after her 2 elder brothers passed away that this is not a good year) she only has got 1 sibling left in Xiamen of China.





2 thoughts on “May 22 (Sunday) was the saddest day of my life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s